Wednesday, October 21, 2009

MY MISSION TO RUSSIA - DAY ONE - THE FLIGHT


My husband and I went to Russia in 2001 for two weeks. We helped lead a Summer VBS program for children . We loved it so much, we actually went back in 2002 for three weeks. I kept a journal all throughout our trip. I would like to share it with you all. I assure you that it is quite entertaining and humbling. There were some scary moments, tearful moments, totally hilarious moments and unforgetful moments. I think that reading about my experiences will touch you in one way or another. Each day, I will try to contribute a portion of my journal. I will also post pictures as they fit in with the tale. We didn't have a digital during our first trip but we did for the second. The pictures will get better as you continue to read. It is over fifty pages long so please visit often and.... happy reading!!

August 15 , 2001

This was it! Our first mission trip and we got to go to Russia! Our last American dinner for the next two weeks was a ham and cheese pepperoni pizza from Domino's. That night we discovered cracker crust and it was delightful! In the morning, we prepared our wills, "just in case" . We then went to the Beachside Cafe for our last American breakfast. Steve and Debbie Sowles picked us up at our house at 11:30 A.M. We headed off to Howard's House to pick up the rest of the group. We were on the road by 12:00 P.M. I couldn't believe we were actually on our way to a foreign country.

We arrived at LAX around 2:30 P.M. The flight counter for Aeroflot was not open yet so we sat in limbo for a couple hours watching people in the airport. We were in the international part of the airport, so there were a lot of foreigners wandering about. Watching people is a great form of entertainment. I love to do that waiting in lines at amusement parks too. At 4:30 we checked our luggage in. Our flight was delayed for 45 minutes. We finally took off at 7:45 P.M.

Our journey in the air lasted twelve hours. Most of the passengers on the plane were Russian. The crew was Russian. Faye and Lindsey, our two teenagers of the group got yelled at by a Russian passenger sitting behind them. The girls were quite rowdy and the lady did not appreciate their noise. The lady spoke in Russian and I think that it was along the lines of "Sit down and shut up!" At one point during the trip, I had to take a potty break. When I tried to return to my seat, the stewardess was blocking the way with her cart. She pursed her lips in irritation at me because she had to move so I could get through. She wasn't very nice to me. I was slightly intimidated.

We certainly were fed well! Our first meal was served about two hours after we left the ground. Kevin and I had chicken and noodles in gravy, salad, bread, cheese, and chocolate parfait cake. We were served a coffee flavored cake at 2:00 A.M. At 5:00 A.M. we had another meal! Ham and cheese pockets, bread and cheese, crackers and white parfait cake.

As we got over Russian land, I noticed that the roofs of the buildings were shiny. I learned that metal is the primary material for many roofs due to the harsh weather in Russia. It lasts longer than wood, tile or tar.

We touched ground at 7:00 P.M. Russian time. For us that was 8:00 A.M. American time.

No comments:

Post a Comment